30 April 2013

2013 A-to-Z Blogging Challenge: After Action Report

 
Well, here we are at the end. We made it. Life intervened a couple of times and I had a short post or two because of it (20 April, I'm looking at you!), and I accidentally posted today's post yesterday. However, all-in-all, it was a success.
 
This year, I dedicated the challenge to AD&D, first edition--no 2E, no 3.0/3.5, no Next, no bloody 4th. Some of my posts did wander into more generic roleplaying territory, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. My "E is for Editions" post showed what came before and after AD&D in an attempt to show where D&D  came from and to whence it is has gone. Because of a post-start event coming up, "O is for Oriental Adventures" became a review of "Ruins and Ronin" in support of Swords and Wizardry Appreciation Day.
 
Did I learn anything? Probably not. I vaguely structured my posts as I went along and some I had no idea what I was going to say until I started typing the title. Until yesterday's fiasco, I did not write ahead of time, either. So, if I did learn something, it is to possibly plan my writing in a more structured manner and write some ahead of time.
 
One change to come from this idea is that I will now ave theme days to post at least once a week. I have changed up the order from an earlier post. First up, I'll have Sci-Fi Monday, a hodge podge of reviews, thoughts about RPGs or MMOs, whatever catches my fancy or attention. Expect to see Mutants and Masterminds, Villains and Vigilantes, Battletech, Stars Without Number, Traveller, SWTOR, and various other topics on this day. Midweek will be Warhammer Wednesdays--not the bloody miniatures game that changes rules every two years, but the original, first edition RPG. This is a game that I have not run or played in years, but it is still a game that I hold close to my heart. Expect the occasional post about my DIY WH40K Marine Chapter, the Blood Cross. Finally, I'll close up the week with Fantasy Friday, anything from book or movie reviews or ruminations on whatever fantasy RPGs are catching my fancy at the time. This is could be AD&D, B/X D&D, DragonQuest, Hackmaster, whatever. It might even include urban fantasy such as the works of Charles de Lint or Kim Harrison or "modern" games like Vampire: The Masquerade. And the first Warhammer Wednesday is tomorrow! Woot! No rest for the wicked.
 
Finally, after yesterday's post, "Z is for Zagyg," I am dedicating this Challenge ex post facto to the memory of E. Gary Gygax, the man whose words sparked the creation of hundreds, if not thousands, of worlds.
 
Gary Gygax, 27 July 1938-04 March 2008
 

No comments: